OHV & ATV Trails
Hiawatha National Forest OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) Trails and Roads Open to OHV Use. For more information and detailed maps visit Hiawatha National Forest or call the St. Ignace office at 906-643-7900.
In addition, local organizations have recently printed OHV maps that include open road and trail rides on the Hiawatha. For more information on availability and purchase of such maps, please contact the Hiawatha National Forest office in St. Ignace at 906-643-7900.
Hiawatha National Forest OHV/ATV Rules
- Cross country or Off-road travel is prohibited
- Coalwood and Haywire OHV Trails are dedicated to OHV use
- Travel is permitted on county roads according to respective county ordinances
- Travel is permitted on woods roads marked with a vertically numbered sing post, UNLESS gated, bermed or signed closed
- Travel is prohibited on gravel roads marked with a horizontally numbered signpost UNLESS posed with a 12-inch square brown sign with a white four-wheeler
- OHVs must travel single file on the edge of the travel way, but NOT in the ditch
- OHVs will be limited to a speed of 25 mph or less
OHVs must follow all guidelines and regulations in the MDNR Off-Road Vehicle Guide. Click Here to go to the Department of Natural Resources ORV/ATVs in Michigan Website. For more information, visit the Hiawatha National Forest website.